Guidelines for List of Personal References
A list of references, or the names of references, will be required for most job applications.
Consider the following when requesting letters of reference:
- Send the person a properly written email requesting a letter of reference.
- Briefly describe the position and attach the position description.
- Provide the contact information for the letter (name, organization, and address).
- Specify the deadline and where letter should be sent (most likely to the organization).
- Offer a copy of your resume, or brag list, to aid in writing the letter.
- Thank them, in advance, for helping.
Be sure to include the following for each person on the list of references:
- Use the same letterhead and font style that was used on the resume.
- The resume and list of references are separate documents—do not staple them together or send them as a single file.
- Beneath the letterhead, write: List of References For YourFullName.
- Limit the list to three appropriate references.
- Include the following information for each reference:
Full address (street, city, state, and zip)
Relationship (specify if the reference is an academic advisor, research mentor, or best friend).
back to Jobs page or Kanat's home page